Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Another look















As much as I'd like to launch into making Suicide happen, the real thing I should be focusing on now is a bullet proof query letter, and a small chunk of the comic that I can tease a publisher with. So they say.

Speaking of teasing, here's another bit from the manuscript.

I had the comic on display for a while in a gallery at New Paltz. I left out a comment book and got probably the best compliment I've ever been given about it in there:

"You know, I've never really been a fan of those "tell all autobiographical" comics that seem to dominate the independent scene. In the first place, they always seemed ridiculously self-indulgent, and even when dressed up with self-depreciating humor, they seemed egotistical as hell. Also watching someone reveal their deepest and darkest with such honesty makes me feel a bit like someone has invited me over to watch their masturbation session.

I don't pretend to know why "Suicide" is different, but it's the first autobiographical comic that's made me feel something other than mild disgust. It's incredibly well written, and it never sinks into the whiny bitch-fest that it so easily could have become.

Congrats."

No comments: